A client gave me the recipe for “Almost 5 ingredient Pizza Spaghetti Squash” from paleoOMG and asked me to make it for her. I made it “as is” the first time and it was delicious but in Sabine’s Cuisine fashion I wanted to clean it up even further. Here is how I altered the recipe:
1. I am not a huge fan of jarred pizza or pasta sauces so I swapped out the pizza sauce for unsalted tomato puree.
2. I LOVE fresh herbs, especially parsley, so simply added some fresh herbs, salt and pepper to the tomato puree and suddenly you have a much fresher tasting sauce.
3. I also wanted to explore the options for other proteins and alternatives to prepared sausage hence the homemade chicken sausage came about using only 2 ingredients!!
This is a family and client favorite. I highly suggest doubling the recipe!! It freezes well if you don’t devour it all in one sitting!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 1 and 1/2 to 2 lbs)
- 1 pound homemade *chicken sausage (or cooked Italian sausage, chicken sausage, shredded or ground chicken)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 (28 oz) can no salt added tomato puree (start with 1 cup and add more if you like)
- 4-6 TBS fresh parsley and/ or fresh basil (can also use oregano)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 eggs, whisked
- (optional: any veggies, cheese, other types of protein)
- Cut squash in half the long way and scrape out the seeds. Place both halves on a microwave safe dish (to catch juices) for 6 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes, then cook another 6 minutes. When it is done, the squash should be easily pierced with a butter knife or fork. OR, place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 400F for 30-50 minutes, until knife goes in easily.
- Allow squash to cool slightly (or wear oven mitts – they are hot)
- Using a fork, loosen the ’spaghetti’ strands from the inside of the squash, scraping them into a large bowl.
- In the large bowl with the squash, add Italian sausage, chicken sausage or chicken (protein should already be cooked) and onion.
- Add about 1 cup of tomato puree, fresh herbs, salt and pepper. Add any other vegetables, protein and cheese (if using). TASTE and adjust seasonings. Add more tomato puree if desired.
- Whisk 3 eggs together, add to the spaghetti squash mixture and stir well. Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Place in oven and bake for 1 hour or until the top of the mixture forms a slight crust that doesn’t give when you press on it in the middle of the dish. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- *Homemade Chicken Sausage
- 1 lb all white ground chicken
- 1-2 tsp fennel seeds, toasted and "crushed" (you can use your knife or mortar and pestle)
- Brown the ground chicken in a medium saute pan. Stir in 1 tsp of the toasted, crushed fennel. Add more fennel if desired. Add salt and pepper to taste.